Thursday, March 30, 2006

Hip-Hop Unbound: 04/03-15


There's a celebration of hip-hop coming to New York City, featuring performances, workshops and of course the inevitably debate-filled panels. I'm trying to figure out if there's any must see event for me. I started out thinking that I might want to see the female break dancers, but ehh, I'm not so sure I want to be stuck in a theater seat watching people dance. I don't know if I have the patience for that.

I like history so maybe I'll go see The Making of Planet Rock. There's always more to learn about the early days of hip-hop. Here's the little blurb on it from the Web site:

Planet Rock, released in 1982, is the most legendary song in hip hop history - it literally defines and encapsulates the entire era of old school hip hop. Performed by hip hop pioneer Afrika Bambaataa and the Soulsonic Force and produced by Arthur Baker for Tommy Boy Records, the song not only continues to serve as breakdancers' anthem worldwide, but it also inaugurated the electro-rock style, which became the blueprint for freestyle and a range of other dance music, and it served to bridge the hip hop and punk communities that made up the downtown underground arts scene in New York in the early 1980s. The unique and unusual story of Planet Rock's composition and production has never been told before in a live setting. This event bring together the original creative team behind the song - artists, producers, engineers, record company executives and special guests - to reflect on the making of the record, more than 20 years after its release.

I can't help but think if Bambaata is there, then it's gonna be at least a little bit interesting. I just feel cautious about going to stuff cause I don't get a chance to get out of the house often so when I do, I don't like to get stuck at events that are yawners.

No comments: