Friday, November 24, 2006

Gwen Stefani: She's Baaaack

Forever and always I will have soft spot for all female musicians, especially those who can rock the fuck out. It could be that I myself was once the singer for an an all-girl punk band, but I think it's more the affection I have for those who choose to live a life that breaks boundaries. Girl rockers are neat cause they're unapologetically emotional, sexual and generally not at all nice or good.

As such, I've long been a fan of Gwen Stefani. To this day, if I'm driving around and "I'm Just a Girl" or "Don't Speak" comes on the radio, they get cranked up. Still, I don't know if it was the marriage or the baby, but like Madonna, since those events, my girl Gwen seems to be pushing my accepatability limits for prissiness and sanctimoniousness.

And don't get me wrong, I understand that a girl needs to evolve and grow, but the recent images I've seen of her making the rounds in support of her new cd make me feel like, well okay, the Lamb clothing she's wearing is kinda cool, but where's the substance behind the style?

Here's some visual evidence:



^^Okay, so she's dressed to perfection and I want to reach into the picture and snatch the purse right out of her hand....


...but I have to wonder, did my girl finally succomb to the pressure to get some fake ones?


^^At a recent performance, once again, manicured to perfection, not a hair out of place, her bronze dress perfection in a dream, but still I can't help but think back...


^^....on her days with No Doubt and feel like some part of the baby went with the bath water.


^^As for Gwen's famous, Harajuku Girls, while I'm always happy to see bitches make money, there's something not right with this picture. (For a very thorough and balanced take on the girls, check out this article by writer Elizabeth Clark.)

I still like and admire Ms. Stefani, but eh, I gotta admit the thrill and some of the respect is gone.

No comments: