Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Carrot Jeans

I am hopelessly behind the curve on this trend, folks. The image below is from an early March article. The pants you're looking at are called carrot jeans--cause they're shaped like a carrot, big on top and tapered to the bottom.

I remember back when I was a kid and a similar profile hit the fashion scene. (God--what were those jeans called?? I wanna say "baggy," but that sounds too simple. It HAS to be more complicated than that.) Anyway, memory issues aside, people lost their minds over those jeans. They were a huge controversy though eventually women got into them cause they covered up their big behinds. However, once the soccer moms and LL Bean got a hold of them, their fate was sealed and they died a slow and quiet death.



So what about these carrot jeans? Obviously they're better suited to guys, especially macho guys, who want to wear more narrow jeans, but don't want butt huggers. As for women, hmmm, I don't know about that. Things are different now then they were the first go-round for baggy jeans. People aren't trying to hide their butts anymore. Let's face it, we're living in a post Mix-A-Lot world and most young women aren't just doing exercises to build up their glutes, they're even getting surgery! Personally, I have tomboy tendecies so I think they're kinda cute, but my only concern is that if fashion lets carrot jeans in the door, harem pants might sneak in behind them!

No comments: