Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Robin Givhan Wins Pulitzer!!


God this news just made my day. I'm a long-time fan of Robin Givhan, who is a style writer for the Washington Post. Unlike a lot of reporters whose beat is the fashion industry, Givhan isn't afraid to actually be critical and she's also capable of making a connection between current trends and how they speak to and are connected to the world we live in. In a nutshell, she's a deep woman in a shallow industry.

Here's the piece that won her the prize. It's an analysis of Supreme Court Judge John Robert's family and how they chose to dress around the time he was going through the nominaiton process. Not for nothing, but that horror of a human Michelle Malkin hated it, which makes me love it even more.

On a mildly personal note, a couple years back I read a piece by her that I loved so much that I figured out her email address (I guessed it based on other reporter's addresses listed on the Washington Post Web site) and let her know how much I enjoyed her work. I know for a fact that she didn't know me from paint, but how thrilled was I when she wrote back and graciously thanked me for my note.

Congrats Robin!!

No comments: