Friday, January 26, 2007

The Story of Six Collectors

Finally, finally, after many delays, a story I did for Footwear News on the ins-and-outs of collecting sneakers was published last week. At the time I wrote the story, I was feeling somewhat ambivalent about it if only because I felt the expiration date on collector-related stories had long passed.

Since I wrote it, however, I've read at least half a dozen stories on sneaker collecting. And now that I've seen MY story in print, I'm liking it a lot more. Not only did I find an amazing cross section of collectors, who were nothing short of a blast to interview, in rereading the story, I'm pleased to say that at the very least, it explores new territory in that it breaks down the different types of collectores and explodes the mainstream mythology that all collectors are guys who stand in lines for hours on end to buy high-priced shoes. I know that kind of sneaker lover is out there, but my story featured only one person who had experienced standing on a line to buy a shoe and part of his motivation was to resell the shoes.

Here is the second page of the article:



If you click on the image, you'll be able to read either part or all of the Q&A I did with DeJongh "Dee" Wells, advertising director for Sole Collector magazine; Lori Lobenstine, youth wroker and head female in charge of FemaleSneakerFiend.com; Tommy Rebel, sneaker guru extraordinaire and founder of B'Klyn Basements; and Sean Ziegler, who is a student. Two of the interviews that aren't in this image are with James "Koe" Rodriquez, hip-hop scholar and filmmaker and Hadry Muanza, Graphic designer and music producer.

And here are a couple of my fave quotes from the story:

"I love my Puma Clydes because they're reminiscent of better days, when hip-hop was still growing. I smell those shoes and it's like '83 all over again." --James "Koe" Rodriguez

"I'll haggle with a store owner until his lips off." --Tommy Rebel (who had one of his favorite pair of sneakers gold-plated!) commenting on his refusal to pay high prices for sneakers.

"The U.S. is crazy for sneakers. People never wait on line for sneakers in France. You might be mugged for your phone in France, but not for your sneakers." --Hardy Muanza, who splits time between New York and Paris.

I've written a TON of stories on shoes and more specifically sneakers, but I have to say, this is my favorite so far. Great people with great stories. I think I'm gonna remember this one for a while to come.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is soooo tasty

You always come through. No matter the subject, you find a way to make it fun and compelling.

I’m so jealous.

Digya also snap the photos ??